27 March 2013

Paul Harris Daniel - Red Tea


Hey There! Let me not blabber this time. You all know that I wrote a so-called My Views on the movie Paradesi. And I sent it to Visitors' column in Behindwoods. And someone who read my has shared some thoughts on the Author of the Novel Red Tea. Since so less information regarding the author is available on the Internet, I just thought of putting it on my blog and contribute to the answers of those who are searching for this great Author. I sincerely thank the person Mr. Devadas Mohan for taking his time to send what he knew about the Great Person who wrote the Novel "Red Tea". Thank you, Sir. If you're reading this, I am happy like I am in heaven!  So, Mr. Devadas Mohan sent me an Email expressing his love towards Paul Harris Daniel who named Devadas Mohan. Pretty interesting, huh? :) 


Dear Mr. Raja Guhan,

Recently I have gone through your article in ”Behind Woods” regarding Bala’s Paradesi & Dr. Paul Harris Daniel’s Red Tea.

Many people unaware of Dr. Paul Harris Daniel and his Novel Red Tea.

I am sharing here the details of Dr. Paul Harris Daniel, which are in my memory for long time.

·         He was a Chief Medical Officer of Peria Karamalai Group Hospital, a plantation Hospital at Peria Karamalai Estate, Valparai and was living with his family in the Bunglow provided by the Plantation Company near by Hospital.

·         My memory never lost, because I was the first born child in the said Hospital in 1956 ( 1955) and Dr. PH Daniel named me as ’ Mohan Das’, as he was staunch supporter and admirer of Gandhi.

·         In those days, the plantation life was very miserable, and every thing good or worse, was happening around the plantations were known to him.

·         He was also visiting other Plantation Hospitals, like Mudis, Paralai etc., and the doctors working there are well known to him.

·         His visits to different plantations instigated him to write the novel ‘ RED TEA’ which I read when I was in 8th Std. The narrations in the novel are still in my memory.

·         What I read in the novel were really happening in our presence.

·         My father was also working in the said hospital till his retirement and we were frequent visitors to there and know the doctor PH Daniel.

·         The photographs of Dr. PH Daniel were with us for long time and have been lost in the changing locations.

·         He started the co-operative movement of Anaimalai Staff Association at Valparai.

·         As a part of Election Campaign, he organised a programme at Valparai Ground. Mr. T M Soundararajan & LR Easwari were invited by him, in the year(not exactly known)

·         He was a faithful Christian. But never involved in Conversion of plantation workers to Christianity.

·         Always he fought for the betterment of plantation workers, health, hygienic living conditions, sanitation etc.

·         Bharat Scouts & Guides – movement was in the Plantation School ( Peria Karamalai Aided Middle School) and then Head Master Mr. P Israel worked closely with Doctor Daniel for the children of Plantation Workers.

·         After leaving the plantation, he was at Coimbatore for quite some time (ref.Personal Interview by Mr. Raviraman for his thesis ‘ Bondage in Freedom and Colonial south India Plantation Area-1797-1947”.


·       Photograph of the Hospital, where Dr. Paul Harris Daniel worked.


18 comments:

  1. Hello, I was very touched by the report written by Devadas Mohan. I am Dr P H Daniel's grand daughter and I will try and add more details. My grandfather was an amazing man and he was very humble. He lived with our family in Coimbatore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is for Dr. Daniel's grand daughter who has commented above. My father Mr. I.J.C.DANIEL who worked at Burnside Estate called your grand father CHITHAPPA. MY GRAND FATHER WAS A FIRST COUSIN OF YOUR GRAND FATHER. I HAVE COME TO YOUR PLACE AT COIMBATORE AND ATTENDED BOTH YOUR MOTHER'S WEDDING AND HER SISTER'S WEDDING
      I WOULD LOVE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU ALL.. MY EMAIL ID IS ushalc@yahoo.com and I just went through the old family album and found a picture of Dr. P.H.DANIEL

      Reply

      Delete
    2. Hi..appreciate if you can share his photo..Thank you

      Delete
  2. hai sir i want the red tea book

    ReplyDelete
  3. mam, can i get the copy of the novel red tea.i started to do the project on this novel.i got the tamil version,but i didn't got the english book.can u upload the book. we can download and read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a blog which says the remarkable work of Dr.Daniel was distorted by the Director Bala in the film "Pardesi"

    The blog says words such as these about the book "Red Tea" which I have also read..
    "In 1940 P H Daniel who worked as a medical officer in Vaalpaarai Kaaramalai estate in Tamil Nadu, while practicing his profession there, was a witness to the system of oppression and slavery in the estate. Opposing it, he founded the " Thenindhiya Thotta Utthiyogasthargal Sangam " (South Indian Tea Workers Union) and voiced the problems and issues dogging the coolies.

    The novel begins with the life of a Dalit couple Karuppan - Valli, residents of a small village in Tirunelveli district. Every chapter in the book begins with a quotation from Charles Dickens to Saul Bellow, William James, Gandhi to The Bible as per its suitability.

    Describing the social life distinct to the scheduled castes, the novel shows the tragedy of Karuppan's life and how he falls for the artful words of an uppercaste agent Sundarapandian and signs up to be a contract labourer along with his wife. They are then caught in the life of slavery and striking despair upon realization of the impossibility of exiting this life. Karuppan gets beaten up every day, his wife comes under constant pressure of sexual harassment and in a very elaborate manner the pathos of the situation travels alongside the detailing of beauty. When Karuppan, Valli and the other coolies fall sick of cholera it brings in a doctor named Abraham who offers medicine as well as kindness. The doctor takes up the cause of the health of the coolies with the white masters. The settlement of coolies briefly comes to life due to Abraham which is a matter of great consolation to Karuppan. But just when Karuppan begins to melt in the act of kindness, Valli dies changing everything for him and slips the place back into a permanent, forever hell.

    Neither the novel's beauty, nor the dark agony appears to have been transferred despite the fine detailing that has gone into the picturization of the film. It stays as flat as a documentary which skims just the surface.

    I am not trying to say that the film, if it had brought out the essence of every single line in the novel would have made an artful package. Rather my question is why this feeling of agony and the taste of beauty failed to translate into the film? Where lies the problem?"
    http://www.countercurrents.org/siddarthan3004113.htm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Gugan, and the grand daughter of Mohan
    I am a Research scholar in English and foreign languages university. I have taken the novel red tea as my primary source to make a comparative study with the film Paradesi, and to unravel the human exploitation in corporate in all means
    Further information’s or datas regarding this novel or anything pertaining to my research would be a great help for my PhD
    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would like to get the soft copy of the red tea english book

    ReplyDelete
  7. hai sir,i am TAMILPRIYA , phd scholar in the department of translation I wants to read the book RED TEA .Because my thesis fully covering the tamil and english work of red tea.so i want that the book ...it help us to my entire thesis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello sir. I am Ranjith from kerala. I am doing MA Eng lit. So i choosed the novel red tea as my project. I want to read this book so if you upload the primary source may help me to fulfil my project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. നിങ്ങൾക്ക് ഈ ബുക്കിന്റെ കോപ്പി കിട്ടിയോ...??

      Delete
  9. My husband, Philip Mathew, has still got a copy of Red Tea and Plantation Panorama written by Dr.P.H.Daniel.My husband grew up in tea plantations belonging to the then Malayalam Plantations Ltd(incorporated in UK)in South India where his father worked as a conductor.My husband is a practicing is advocate at Kerala High Court. He wants to write on the history of plantations containing the royal life enjoyed English planters and the blood and sweat oozed by the less fortunate natives who had a miserable life in the plantations in South India. Do you have any materials with you? Please contact by Email: philip.indianattorney@gmail.com . Cell: 919447636500- Philip Mathew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I get a copy please?

      Delete
    2. Is there a way to get a copy? Where did you get the copy from?

      Delete
  10. Hi, where can I find a copy of this book. I belong to this place where the plot of the book is being set. I need to know the history of my ancestors. Please let me know
    Mail id: prathicksharosemoor2007@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to read the book "Red Tea", but it is not available anywhere. There is a Tamil version and I do not know how to read Tamil. Can anyone help me?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to read the book "Red Tea", but it is not available anywhere. There is a Tamil version and I do not know how to read Tamil. Can anyone help me?
    My email id
    mailmeanish51@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete